Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ecological Footrpint

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I lowered my ecological footprint from 3.4 planets to 3.1 planets.  57% of my footprint is services, 9% goods, 17% food, 11% shelter and 6% mobility.  
I also feel that I succeeded in all three of my goals.  My first goal was to eat more locally grown food.  I started shopping at the Co-op and it made this really easy.  I still shop at Fred Meyers every once in awhile, but not as much.  I am also looking forward to when the Farmers Market opens up again in April, I live right down the street so it is really easy to just walk there on Saturday mornings.  
My second goal was to ride the bus to work twice a week, this was more difficult, but I still managed to do it.  I believe this one is really important, I shouldn't be driving all by myself, there and back 4 days a week.
My third goal was to buy more natural and organic foods.  I never really defined what natural was to me, so I kind of gave up on this part.  Like we learned in class, there is no real definition for "natural" so it is really open-ended.  I did buy a lot of organic foods though.  Like I said earlier, I shopped at the Co-op, so it made this easy.  
I am going to try and continue with all my goals and also try to assess them and think of new ones as time goes on.  

1 comment:

  1. Mary -- you really changed your lifestyles/habits this quarter! Congratulations! Let me know if you go to the green fest, I didn't know they were actually advertising it!

    ReplyDelete